I would like to take the opportunity to write a post about one of my old best friends.
Barbie. Barbara Millicent Roberts to be exact. I just learned that today.
Barbie taught us we could do anything - be a doctor, a teacher AND grow up with perky boobs. Even when economic times were down she made working at McDonald's, with a talking drive-thru, glamorous. With her career choices she undoubtedly, from my assumptions, held 40 master's degrees and 17 doctorates. SHE COMES FROM ABOUT 150 ETHNIC BACKGROUNDS! wtf!. Still, she was a confident older sister, while we questioned her own parents' involvement in Kelly's upbringing. She owned a jeep AND a convertible. Then of course there was her most prized accessory in private-lacking, plastic-molded-underwear-wearing Ken Carson. In a solitary day I could turn Barbie into a cape-wielding heroine or a victim being held captive by my brother's Beetlejuice doll. She wasn't a doll I could fall asleep with (seriously pointy hands) but I sure loved her when I woke up.
Like any woman she has her own inner turmoils. In 2004, Barbie dumped Ken after 43 years of courtship. The official Mattel press release turned AP story can be seen here. A guy that can't commit? She had a hole in her hand JUST for a ring. Supposedly she is with an Australian now. TOTALLY HOT!
I'm rambling really but what is wrong with reminiscing? After all, Barbie is only one year younger than my mom and you can guess who looks better at her age.
To conclude, here is a commercial from the Sweet Dreams Barbie I owned. Ignore the spanish speaking, I could not find the English version. Disclaimer: I owned this Barbie Doll. She had a "magic" washcloth that, when you rubbed over her eyes, made them close so she appeared to sleep. Cold water, not the wash cloth, actually changed her eyes. As a confused seven-year-old I remember crying uncontrollably when my legally blind grandpa accidentally threw away her wash cloth. I feared Barbie would never sleep again and would certainly remain a wandering insomniac. Eventually the issue was resolved and this doll holds a place in my heart. I love you Grandpa!
Monday, March 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
aweee i love this post! so good. and i totally had that same barbie!
Post a Comment