Earlier this week, management from the Chicago Cubs and White Sox got together with some chief marketing executives to make a ground-breaking decision.
The teams, both currently under .500 for the season and continuing skids into mediocrity, will now play each other for a completely irrelevant title that is the Crosstown Cup sponsored by BP. In case you live under a rock BP, or British Petroleum plc, is the possessor of an oil well that as I type this is spilling thousands of gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.
Imaginary British Petroleum exeuctive: "oh hey guys, hey. I know our errors are currently hindering the daily lives of people in the gulf states and causing major environmental trauma that hasn't be seen since the Exxon Valdez but we sure know how to sponsor irrelevant competitions in the Midwest." My God!
According to ChicagoBreakingNews.com, "the three-foot tall Cup supposedly is in production, but will be ready before the Cubs and Sox meet for the first time June 11-13 at Wrigley Field." Oh goody. This rivalry doesn't impact me (I mean I could care less, I'm just a Chicago transplant) but for the love of marketing! How do companies keep scoring deals to sponsor something that never existed in the first place? Especially while little oil-covered duckies in the Gulf are being sudsed up with Dawn.
Just when I thought this scenario would damper my day I saw this adorable video. Even though I find twins slightly creepy (think "The Shining") this made me go, "awwwww." At least there are two people who can get it right, the Sox fan is slightly violent and the Cubs fan is the first to open her mouth and be obnoxious. Perfect!
Happy Friday.
Friday, April 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment