Tuesday, January 12, 2010

This is me being culturally relevant.

I love when I feel no pressure to write about issues in a timely manner.  Everyone and everything else does it for me.  I am not a journalist in this blog and am, by no means, following the inverted pyramid.

I also don't choose to write about my life, it's not that exciting.  If I actually like you then you will know if something earth shattering happens but I feel no need to write it here.  Instead I offer my opinions, my qualms and some sarcasm.  I don't write to talk a lot of facts and don't read blogs that do.  Let's be honest, most of that information on "informational" personal blogs already came from a credible source that broke the news way early.  Credible sources like CNN, ESPN or Perez Hilton.

So today I read a great article on gawker.com, American Idol: June 2002 - May 2010.  No surprise that Simon Cowell would one day leave American Idol to take on greener pastures and karaoke contests.  I only heard about Britain's "X Factor" through the amazing Onion's AV Club article Internet 1, Simon Cowell 0.  Basically, a social media campaign in support of Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name Of" spanked some whiny cover on Miley's "The Climb" as Britain's #1 single during the week of Christmas 2009.  With his tail between his legs, Simon lost.  Baby Jesus had something to do with this, no doubt.

So now Simon is leaving soon, Paula's coked out little body has already left the chair and lovable Ellen Degeneres is making her debut. AI is changing; my life will hardly be changed by this.  Seeing David Cook perform before the 2009 All Star game actually solidified the fact, for me, that the show is little more than a karaoke contest best used for large sponsorship deals. However, it's pop culture and it's relevant so here we are.

So read the Gawker article please, the picture at the bottom is most definitely worth it.




0 comments: