I learned about the 7.0 magnitude quake in Haiti from the oddest of sources yesterday. At around 4 p.m. yesterday I read this tweet on Rainn Wilson's twitter. Yes, I learned about the first global natural disaster of the decade from The Office's Dwight. Only minutes before Rainn's tweet, CNN Breaking News had just posted this. The CNN.com story at that time was simplistic, "A 7.3 earthquake. Little to no communication available. No reported causalities." That was then. Now, hundreds of thousands people are displaced and the death toll is rapidly rising. The poorest country in the western hemisphere is now at the center of the world.
Social media gives way to millions of global voices. Just like I learned about this catastrophe through Rainn Wilson, aide is being spread through 140 characters or less. In less than a few minutes I discovered a missing person's list where people are messaging about missing loved ones. The official Twitter White House page released a far reaching cry for help this morning as well as links to Red Cross recovery. Please follow that link for information or text “HAITI” to 90999 to donate $10 to American Red Cross relief for Haiti. (This is taken care of through your phone provider.) NPR has also compiled a continually updated list of ways to help.
It's apparent that social media, like so many major events of the past few years, is on the forefront of civilian assistance. So text, donate, tweet, whatever. It has never been easier to help.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment