Thursday, June 3, 2010

What You See Isn't Always What You Get

When people say "social media" I cringe just a little bit.  Do I use the term from time to time?  Guilty.  Media is inherently social so to throw any adjective in front of it is redundant and unnecessary.  Think of the last TV commercial, :30 online pre-roll, or print ad that really stuck out in your head; the one you talked about with another person.  "Did you see ____?"  The average person is exposed to thousands of advertising messages every day and this number continues to grow.  Any client at my company is constantly pushing us to "try harder" in the pursuit of that magical word...buzz.  The client needs press coverage, event sponsorships, water cooler chit-chat!  For many, this is a measure of success.

After a few years of scattered professionalism in this business I can honestly say that unless you have a message that someone wants and simultaneously needs to hear, then you have to fight like hell to get them to care.  Once in awhile a company finds some unimaginable luck that skyrockets to super stardom.  More often, success comes with momentum similar to Sisyphus' eternal struggle. 

I'm currently working on a campaign that I know can make a difference and is something that people need to care.  Is the process behind it all painfully tedious?  Absolutely.  But take note reader, you are destined to hear about it so I hope it gets you talking.  For a preview visit Save11 or XTheText.

0 comments: