Monday, May 10, 2010

Way Out Where the Dandelions Grow

Opening day is tomorrow, 80% chance of rain pending. It's time to grab my Dr. Dot Richardson bat out of the closet and oil my glove. Ten glorious weeks of company softball on team SMG-Unit starts soon, the first organized team I've been on in four years! Last week we had practice and I have to believe there are few things more exciting in Chicago than playing catch underneath of the city's skyline. I missed a catch due to sun shining off a skyscraper. Glorious!

Summer ball was an essential part of my upbringing. From Ryan's t-ball to my five hour All-Star game when I was 11 to having my life threatened by drunk parents as a 15-year-old umpire. A first team all-conference plaque with Theresa "T-Dawg" is lovingly packed in a box full of high school memories.

Granted, this season will be more about leisurely playing with a 16" colossal softball (Chicago's thing, apparently) and the bars we are destined to frequent post-game.

Wherever I am and no matter my age, I have always loved playing this game. The video below is from 1990. I remember the commercial from childhood and everything about the song reminds me of growing up playing the sport. A game tying foul ball hit to you or two strikes with a runner in scoring position...and the relentless butterflies in your stomach. Then, all of a sudden, you pull through for the team! What is more fun for a child than being the hero?

When I was about nine I had a strong arm but lacked coordination to take on the infield. So I played right field where it's important to know, you gotta know how to...just watch the video.

Cheers to summer and all the past, present and future memories we make on the field.

0 comments: